Recipe: Fish Cakes
- 2 cups milk, scalded and cooled
- 2 packages quick rising yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 cups all−purpose flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, cooled; plus more for cooking
- 1/2 cups additional milk
- Put the yeast in water and add sugar.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then stir to dissolve the yeast.
- In an electric mixer combine the scalded (cooled) milk, yeast mixture, both flours, the egg yolks only, salt, sour cream, and melted butter.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks and gently fold into the batter.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes, and then stir in additional milk.
- Heat an electric skillet to 400F, or a large frying pan on medium high.
- Brush the pan with a bit of butter and fry the pancakes using 3 tablespoons of batter for each.
- They should be about 3 to 4 inches in diameter.
- Cook until golden and turn.
- Serve with lumpfish caviar and/or sour cream.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)