- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 3 Large Egg yolks
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 14 Ounce Sweetened condensed milk
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Almond extract
- In a small saucepan melt sugar over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is a dark, caramel−colored liquid.
- Remove from heat and pour into a 4 cup metal ring mold or 8 individual molds.
- Quickly turn mold to coat bottom and sides with the caramel.
- Let cool so caramel hardens.
- Heat oven to 325F.
- Put the condensed milk, milk, eggs, egg yolks and flavorings into an electric blender.
- Cover and blend to mix well.
- Pour mixture into mold; put mold in a larger pan filled with water to depth of 1/2″.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and remove mold from water.
- Cool and then refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Cover mold with an inverted serving platter.
- Hold mold and platter together and turn them over.
- Lift off mold.
- Caramel will fall as a liquid sauce over the custard.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: French