Recipe: Focaccia Versiliese
- 2 Teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 Cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 4 sage leaves, torn
- 3 1/2 Ounce olives, pitted
- 2 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 Cup unbleached all−purpose flour
- 1 Cup corn flour
- 2 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Teaspoon olive oil
- Stir the yeast into a alrge mixing bowl with the water & let proof for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the olive oil, rosemary, sage, olives & garlic.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in the flours & salt & stir until the dough is thick & smooth.
- Knead by hand for 8 to 10 minutes until the dough is firm & elastic.
- Set the dough in a lightly oiled container, cover with plastic wrap & let rise until doubled.
- Turn the dough onto an oiled 10 1/2″ X 15 1/2″ baking pan & stretch it to fit.
- If it won’t fit, let it rest for 10 minutes & try again.
- Cover with a towel & leave until it has half risen, about 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 400F.
- Just before baking, dimple the top of the dough with your fingertips & sprinkle with some extra salt & 2 ts of oil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden.
- Slide off baking sheet onto a rack & let cool for a few minutes before eating warm or at room temperature.
- VARIATION: Focaccia Dolce.
- Substitute 2 oz raisins & 1 oz pine nuts for the olives, herbs & garlic.
- Soak the raisins in warm water for 30 minutes before using & toast the pine nuts.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)