Recipe: Loaded Baked Potato Skins
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1−1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 slices bacon, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Bake the potatoes for 1 hour.
- Let the potatoes cool down enough so that you can touch them.
- As the potatoes are baking, make the sour cream dip by mixing the sour cream and the chives.
- Place the mixture in a covered container in your refrigerator.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, make 2 lengthwise cuts through each potato, resulting in three 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices.
- Discard the middle slices or save them for a separate dish of mashed potatoes.
- This will leave you with two potato skins per potato.
- With a spoon, scoop out some of the potato from each skin, being sure to leave about 1/4 inch of potato inside of the skin.
- Brush the entire surface of each potato skin, inside and out, with the melted butter.
- Place the skins on a cookie sheet, cut side up, and broil them for 6−8 minutes or until the edges begin to turn dark brown.
- Sprinkle 2−3 tablespoons of cheddar cheese into each skin.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle 1−2 teaspoons of the bacon pieces onto the cheese.
- Broil the skins for 2 more minutes or until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Serve hot, arranged on a plate surrounding a small bowl of the sour cream dip.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)