- 4 Cup Flour
- 2 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Shortening or lard
- 1 Tablespoon Baking powder
- 1−1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 Cup Water or more if needed
- Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add water and mix until holds together. Knead 10−15 times until dough forms a smooth ball. Cover and let set for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into two parts. Roll dough to 1/8″ thickness on lightly floured board. Cut into 3″ squares or triangles. Do not allow to dry; cover those waiting to be fried. When ready to fry, turn upside down so that surface on bottom while resting is on top when frying.
- Fry in 3″ hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Add only a few at a time to maintain proper temperature. Drain on paper towels.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)