- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- Enough flour to roll (approx. 4 cups)
- Beat eggs slightly and add sugar and beat some more.
- Gradually add the sour cream mixed with soda and milk alternately with the dry ingredients.
- This will take about 4 1/2 cups of flour.
- Mix it and pour out onto the floured board and divide into three portions and roll each out to approx. 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1 inch wide strips and then into about 2 1/2 inch long pieces.
- Put a slit in the centre of each and fold one end through the slit.
- Fry in deep fat Crisco in an electric deep fryer at about 375 degrees.
- Keep turning them till they are golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- After they have drained on paper towel, sprinkle with powdered sugar when ready to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)