- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups fine granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 4 cups flour (approx.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dessert spoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom seed
- 1 lb. prunes, boiled and stoned and put through the food chopper.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water that prunes were boiled in.
- Bring filling to a boil and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Keep warm for spreading on cakes.
- Cream butter, add sugar gradually and eggs one at a time.
- Sift dry ingredients and work into first mixture.
- Add flavoring and cream.
- Knead in all the flour (don’t knead very much) and divide into 6 equal parts.
- Roll each part on wax paper to fit the outside bottom of a (9 inch diameter) round baking tin.
- Transfer to the outside bottom of the tin, trim off excess dough and bake to a light golden brown at 375 degrees (about 10 minutes).
- Watch carefully as the edges can burn easily.
- Remove each cake layer from tin and cool before layering together with prune filling.
- Total cake height should be about 2 1/2 – 3 inches.
- Place a book on the cake for awhile to help compress it.
- When cool, wrap in plastic and let stand in the fridge or in a cool room for 2-3 days to cure.
- As a finishing touch, some people ice the cake with an almond/vanilla flavored butter icing prior to cutting and serving.
- Most enjoy it plain or with a dollop of whipped cream.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)