Recipe: Whole Wheat Dough
- 1 Tbls. sugar or honey
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 pack (1/4 ounce) dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Dissolve sugar in water and add yeast.
- Stir gently until dissolved (about 1 minute).
- Let stand until the yeast foams slightly (about 5 minutes) to insure that the yeast is effective.
- Combine 3 cups of the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour in the yeast mixture and oil if you are using it.
- Begin kneading the mixture, gradually adding enough of the remaining 1/4 cup flour so that the dough is no longer sticky.
- Continue kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic (another 10−15 minutes by hand).
- Shape dough into a ball and put in an oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat it with the oil.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk (45 minutes to 1−1/2 hours, depending on the yeast and the temperature).
- Punch down the dough and shape into 1 or 2 pieces.
- The entire recipe will make two 12 inch pizzas.
- Shape the dough either by hand or with a rolling pin, stretching out as necessary to achieve a thin dough.
- For a lighter crust, let the dough sit for a half hour after shaping before constructing pizza and baking.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)