Recipe: Stuffed Acorn Squash Supreme
- 1 (6 ounce) package broccoli and cheese flavored rice mix
- 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 2 teaspoons crushed coriander seed
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions; cover, and set aside.
- Place squash halves cut side down onto a plate.
- Cook the squash in a microwave oven for 5 minutes on High, until tender but firm.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until evenly browned; drain, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the prepared rice, sausage, apple, and coriander.
- Stuff each squash half with the mixture.
- Cover stuffed squash halves with plastic wrap, and heat in the microwave until squash is cooked through and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove plastic, and top stuffed squash with cheese.
- Continue to cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)