Recipe: Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, stemmed, dark gills removed, caps cut into 3/4−inch pieces
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps cut into 3/4−inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 14−ounce cans (or more) vegetable broth
- 1−1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Madeira
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with foil.
- Divide mushrooms between prepared baking sheets.
- Drizzle mushrooms on each sheet with 3 tablespoons oil.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Cover with foil. Bake mushrooms 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking until mushrooms are tender and still moist, about 15 minutes longer.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree half of mushrooms with 1 can broth in blender until smooth.
- Set mushroom puree aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium−high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add Madeira and simmer until almost all of liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour; stir 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cans broth, cream, and thyme.
- Stir in remaining cooked mushroom pieces and mushroom puree.
- Simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)