Recipe: Homestyle Turkey
- 1 (12 pound) whole turkey
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Rinse and wash turkey.
- Save giblets and neck for gravy.
- Stuff turkey, if desired.
- Place turkey in a Dutch oven or roasting pan.
- Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets.
- Put 3 tablespoons of the butter on both sides between the skin and breast meat.
- This makes for very juicy breast meat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the water with the bouillon.
- Sprinkle in the parsley and minced onion.
- Pour over the top of the turkey.
- Sprinkle seasoning salt over the turkey.
- Cover with foil, and place in oven.
- Immediately turn oven down to 325F.
- Bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180F.
- For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicel
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)