Recipe: Crock Pot Clam Chowder
- 4 (6 1/2 oz.) cans clams
- 1/2 lb. salt pork or bacon, diced
- 1 lg. onion, chopped 6 to 8 lg. potatoes, pared and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half and half (or milk)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cut clams into bite sized pieces if necessary.
- In skillet, saute salt pork or bacon and onion until golden brown; drain.
- Put into Crock Pot with clams.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except milk.
- Cover; cook on high 3 to 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- During the last hour of cooking, combine 1 cup of half and half with the cornstarch.
- Add that and the remaining half and half and stir well; heat through.
- Serve in large bowls with crusty French bread.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: English