Recipe: Fried Twinkies
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 Twinkies
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375F.
- Prepare batter by mixing together milk, vinegar and oil.
- In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth.
- Refrigerate while oil heats.
- Dust twinkie with flour and dip into the batter.
- Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake.
- Place carefully in hot oil.
- The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browing.
- It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes.
- Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.
- Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain.
- Let the Twinkie sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- You may dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)