Recipe: Bean and Macaroni Soup
- 2 cans (16 oz each) great northern beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 C onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 C carrots, sliced
- 1 C celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 C tomatoes, fresh, peeled, cut up (or 1 1/2 lb canned, whole, cut up)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- to taste black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 4 C elbow macaroni, cooked
- If using canned tomatoes, sodium content will be higher. Try no salt added canned tomatoes to keep sodium lower.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in 6-quart kettle. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package, using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: USA (General)