1 lb lean beef (top round), cubed
2 tsp vegetable oil
3/4 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1/4 tsp salt
to taste pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 C white wine
1 C plain lowfat yogurt
6 C macaroni, cooked in unsalted water
1. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in nonstick skillet. Sauté onion for 2 minutes.
3. Add beef and sauté for 5 minutes more. Turn to brown evenly. Remove from pan and keep hot.
4. Add remaining oil to pan and sauté mushrooms.
5. Add beef and onions to pan with seasonings.
6. Add wine and yogurt, and gently stir in. Heat, but do not boil.*
7. Serve with macaroni.
* If thickening is desired, use 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Calories are same as for flour, but cornstarch has double the thickening power. The calories for cornstarch are not included in the nutrients per serving given above. To add cornstarch, take small amount of wine and yogurt broth and put aside to cool. Stir in cornstarch. Add some of warm broth to cornstarch paste and stir. Then, add cornstarch mixture to pan.