Recipe: Cannery Row Soup
- 2 lb varied fish fillets (such as haddock, perch, flounder, cod, sole), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, cut in thin strips
- 2 C celery, sliced
- 1/2 C onion, chopped
- 1/4 C green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, cut up, with liquid
- 1 C clam juice
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 C fresh parsley, minced
- 1. Heat oil in large saucepan. Sauté garlic, carrots, celery, onion, and green pepper in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except parsley and fish. Cover and simmer for 10–15 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Add fish and parsley. Simmer covered for 5–10 minutes more or until fish flakes easily and is opaque. Serve hot.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: USA (General)