Recipe: Corn Chowder
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp celery, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp green pepper, finely diced
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 C raw potatoes, peeled, diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 C water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 C lowfat or skim milk
- 1. Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add celery, onion, and green pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook covered for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place 1/2 cup of milk in jar with tightfitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
- Gradually add milk-flour mixture to cooked vegetables. Then add remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped, fresh parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: USA (General)