1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
11/2 tsp cumin
3 lb boned lean veal shoulder, trimmed, rolled, tied
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 lb onions, peeled
1/2 clove garlic, peeled
2 tsp dried tarragon
4 sprigs fresh parsley
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1. Mix together salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cumin. Rub over roast.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in large skillet. Add onions, garlic, and tarragon. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in ovenproof pan large enough to hold all ingredients. Brown meat on all sides.
4. Add garlic-onion mixture. Add parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover.
5. Bake in 325 ºF oven for 11/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
6. Remove meat to serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices. Remove bay leaf and parsley. Cut roast in 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices. Pour a little cooking juice over roast and serve rest on side.