4 medium chicken breast halves, skinless, boned, and cut into 1-inch strips*
1 C (14 oz) tomatoes, cut up**
1 C low-sodium chili sauce
11/2 C (1 large) green pepper, chopped
11/2 C celery, chopped
1/4 C onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
1 Tbsp fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
1/4 tsp red pepper, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
as needed nonstick cooking spray
* For convenience, you can use uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast.
** To cut back on sodium, try low sodium canned tomatoes.
1. Spray deep skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
2. Cook chicken in hot skillet, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until no longer pink. Reduce heat.
3. Add tomatoes with juice, low sodium chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered for
4. Serve over hot cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.