Recipe: Apple Coffee Cake
- 5 C tart apples, cored, peeled, chopped
- 1 C sugar
- 1 C dark raisins
- 1/2 C pecans, chopped
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 C all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly oil 13- by 9- by 2-inch pan.
- In large mixing bowl, combine apples with sugar, raisins, and pecans. Mix well and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir in oil, vanilla, and egg. Sift together flour, soda, and cinnamon, and stir into apple mixture about a third at a time—just enough to moisten dry ingredients.
- Turn batter into pan. Bake for 35–40 minutes. Cool cake slightly before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)