Recipe: Banana-Nut Bread
- 1 C ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 C lowfat buttermilk
- 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 C margarine
- 1 egg
- 2 C all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly oil two, 9- by 5-inch loaf pans.
- Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk. Set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light. Beat in egg. Add banana mixture and beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add all at once to liquid ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in nuts, and turn into prepared pans.
- Bake for 50–55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pans.
- Remove from pans and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)