1 C cornmeal
1 C flour
1/4 C white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 C 1% fat buttermilk
1 egg, whole
1/4 C tub margarine
1 tsp vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
4. Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to dry ingredients.
5. Add margarine, and mix by hand or with mixer for 1 minute.
6. Bake for 20–25 minutes in an 8- by 8-inch, greased baking dish. Cool. Cut into 10 squares.