Recipe: Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding With Apple-Raisin Sauce
- FOR BREAD PUDDING
- 10 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 C skim milk
- 1/4 C white sugar
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- As needed vegetable oil spray
- FOR APPLE-RAISIN SAUCE
- 1 1/4 C apple juice
- 1/2 C apple butter
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 C raisins
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Spray 8- by 8-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Lay slices of bread in baking dish in two rows, overlapping like shingles.
- In medium bowl, beat together egg, egg whites, milk, the 1/4 cup of white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread.
- In small bowl, stir together cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and the 2 teaspoons of white sugar.
- Sprinkle spiced sugar mix over bread pudding. Bake pudding for 30–35 minutes, until it has browned on top and is firm to touch. Serve warm or at room temperature with warm apple-raisin sauce.
- To prepare apple-raisin sauce:
- Stir all ingredients together in medium saucepan.
- Bring to simmer over low heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)