Extra virgin olive oil ¾ cup
Potatoes, cut into 1/6” slices 5 ea.
Onion, thinly sliced 1 ea.
Salt 2 tsp.
Eggs 6 ea.
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the potatoes and onions and salt lightly. Cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, but not brown. Keep the potatoes separated.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and salt lightly. Drain the oil form the potatoes; reserve 3 tablespoons to be reused.
3. Add the potato mixture to the eggs, submerging completely. Let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil in a large sauté pan until hot. Add the potatoegg mixture. Lower heat to medium.
5. Shake the pan occasionally to prevent sticking. When the bottom of the tortilla is lightly browned, place a large plate over the pan and flip the tortilla upside down onto the plate.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the sides of the pan and slide the uncooked side of the tortilla back into the pan. Round the sides with a spatula and cook until browned. Transfer to a plate and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
For Tortilla Española Trufada: add thinly sliced black ruffles.