Recipe: YELLOW SPLIT PEA PURÉE
- Extra virgin olive oil ¾ cup
- Red onion, medium, finely chopped 1 ea.
- Yellow split peas, rinsed and drained 1 cup
- Water 5-7 cups
- Black pepper, freshly grated to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oregano 1 tsp.
- Red wine vinegar 2-3 Tbsp.
- Onions, coarsely chopped 1-2 ea.
- 1. Heat ¼ cup of the olive oil in a large pot. Add the chopped red onion and cook it until it’s soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the yellow split peas and toss them to coat with the olive oil. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add enough water to cover the split peas by 2 inches. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat, uncover, and cook them over very low heat, stirring occasionally to keep them from sticking, for 1½ to 2 hours, until the split peas are completely disintegrated. During the course of cooking, add water.
- When the split peas have reached the consistency loose mashed potatoes, remove from the heat, and add salt, pepper, oregano, and vinegar to taste. Cover with a cloth and let it sit for 1 to 2 hours to cool and solidify.
- Spread them on a plate or platter, sprinkle with raw onions, and drizzle generously with olive oil.
Note: You can purée the split peas with olive oil using a food processor or immersion blender for an extra smooth final texture.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: USA (General)