Recipe: POTTED SHRIMPS
- 180g unsalted butter
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Good pinch ground mace or freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon anchovy essence or paste
- 200g peeled brown shrimps
- Sea salt and freshly milled white pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
- Good quality brown bread
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the lemon juice, mace, cayenne pepper, bay leaf and anchovy essence and simmer on a low heat for 2 minutes to infuse the spices.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave it to cool until just warm.
- Add the shrimps and stir well. Season with salt and white pepper. Put the mixture into the fridge and stir every so often. When the butter starts to set, fill 4 ramekins with the mixture or spoon it on to plates.
- If not serving them that day, return the ramekins to the fridge and cover with clingfilm. It’s important not to serve the shrimps straight from the fridge as the butter will be too hard to spread nicely on the toast.
- Serve on hot buttered toast with lemon halves.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)