Recipe: Turkey and aubergine stew
- 350g turkey cubed into bite size pieces.
- 2 heaped tsp ground cumin.
- 1 aubergine (approx. 200g) cubed into bite size pieces.
- 1 large red onion chopped.
- 1 large garlic clove chopped.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, salt (optional) and pepper.
- 400g can of tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional).
- 15g bunch of mint.
- coursely chopped.
- Gently heat the olive oil and stir in the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Add the aubergine and quickly toss the pieces in the oily onion.
- Reduce the heat and cook, stirring a couple of times, for 5 minutes until the aubergine begins to soften. Increase the heat and add the turkey, browning it thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the tomatoes and vinegar (vinegar is optional).
- Half fill the tomato can with water and add that too. Bring to the boil, reduce the head immediately, three-quarters cover the saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes. Check that the meat is tender – if not cook for another 5 or 10 minutes. I found it was fine after the initial 20 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the mint. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern