Recipe: Macaroni Cheese
- 1 cup of macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons of plain all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of mustard powder
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup of butter
- Heat a large saucepan of salted water and bring to a boil. Add the macaroni pasta and cook for 12 minutes, or until al dente. Drain well.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan. When the butter starts to sizzle and foam stir in the flour and mustard, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Bring back to a boil and stir the sauce until it thickens.
- Add the cheese and keep stirring the mixture until melted and you can no longer see any cheese.
- Add the cooked macaroni, eggs and fresh parsley. Sprinkle a little extra cheese over the top if desired.
- Place the mixture in an oven dish and bake in a moderate heated oven for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned. All the cheese should be all melted on top.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: hors d’oerves
Culinary tradition: Italian