Recipe: Almond Biscotti
- 3 1/1 oz of almonds
- 8 oz of plan all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 8 oz of caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons of orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C). Spread the almonds in a single layer on an oven tray and bake for 7-10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly toasted. Cool and roughly chop.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, orange zest, rosemary and chopped almonds. Add the beaten eggs, egg yolk and vanilla and mix all the ingredients to form a firm dough. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes, or until smooth. Form into a flattened log shape 12 inch in length. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 275 ° F (140 ° C) and line two oven trays with baking paper. With a long knife, cut the log diagonally into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices. Arrange the almond biscotti in a single layer on the prepared oven trays and bake them in the oven for a further 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally until they are dry and crisp.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: Italian