Recipe: Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon with Mushroom Sauce
- 2 bacon rashers
- 2 beef eye fillet steaks
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 4.5 oz of button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons of cornflour
- 1 cup of beef stock
- Cut rind from bacon using scissors or sharp knife. Wrap one bacon rasher around each piece of steak. Secure the bacon with a skewer or toothpick.
- Heat butter and oil in a large drying pan. Cook the steaks over a high heat for about 2 minutes or until steaks are lightly browned underneath. Turn steaks and cook over high heat until browned on the other side. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook the steaks until they are cooked to suit individual tastes, depending if you prefer them medium or well done. Remove steaks from the pan and place them in ovenproof dish. Cover and place in oven to keep them warm while you prepare the mushroom sauce.
- Add onion to remaining butter mixture in pan. Stir over a medium heat until onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and stir over a medium heat for about 2 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Blend cornflour with the beef stock and herbs. Add to pan, stir constantly over a high heat until sauce boils and thickens. Place steaks on serving plates and remove the skewers or toothpicks. Pour over sauce and serve immediately with vegetables of your choice.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Italian