Recipe: Leek And Artichoke Soup
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 artichokes
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced, using the white part only
- 1 potato, quartered and thinly sliced
- 6 lettuce leaves, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 mint leaves, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 5 1/2 cups of water
- 1 lb of fresh peas, washed
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Prepare the artichokes by first breaking off the tough outer leaves. Cut off the top 2/3 of the remaining inner leaves, which is what you want to use. Dice the artichokes in quarters and remove the chokes. Dice the trimmed hearts into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the prepared leeks, artichokes, garlic, potato, lettuce, and fresh parsley and mint leaves. Add some salt for seasoning. Add 1/2 cup of water and stir constantly until all the vegetables have softened, which should take about 5 minutes. Now add the fresh peas and remaining water to the stew.
- Bring the stew to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until the artichokes have properly cooked. Taste to find out if you need more salt. Either garnish with black pepper or add at this stage. If you want the soup to have a smoother texture you can puree the soup. Drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil into each soup plate and add shavings of parmesan.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)