Recipe: Chinese duck pancakes
- 2 duck breasts with skin (about 150g each)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
- 6-8 chinese pancakes
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons hoisin or plum sauce
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- a handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F Gas Mark6). Rub the skin of the duck breasts with the salt and five spice powder. Take an ovenproof frying pan or skillet and preheat. Add the duck breasts and cook skin side down until golden. Place the pan or skillet in the oven and continue to cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until the breasts are tender but still pink in the middle.
- Heat the pancakes by steaming or placing in the microwave for a few seconds. Slice the duck breasts and finely shred the meat, place on a warmed serving plate. Arrange the cucumber, coriander, spring onion, chilli and hoisin or plum sauce in piles on either a wooden board or in small bowls.
- To eat, take a warm pancake and spread it with a teaspoon of sauce. Place some duck and other items from the board to taste. Roll up the pancake and eat it with your fingers.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Chinese