Recipe: Tofu and Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons of corn oil
- 1 lb of firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of snow peas, sliced
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 12 shrimp, rinsed and deveined
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup of sweet and sour sauce
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes. Add the cornstarch into a pan and coat the tofu on all sides so its evenly coated.
- Heat half of the corn oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot enough add the prepared tofu and cook until brown. Be careful not to overcook the tofu because it browns very easily. When cooked transfer the tofu to a bowl and set aside
- Add the remaining corn oil to the pan and add the onions, snow peas, mushrooms, carrot, and pepper. Continue to saute over a medium heat until the vegetables have softened, which will take about 10 minutes, and the add the shrimp and cook for a further 5 minutes, until shrimps turns a light pink color.
- Combine the vinegar, sweet and sour sauce in a small cup and add the sauce mixture over the tofu, and continue to cook for a few more minutes so the tofu absorbs all the flavor.
- Serve immediately on its own or with some steamed rice.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern