Recipe: Roast Chicken
- 1 medium chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1.5 cups of chicken stock or water
- spring of fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C). Rinse the chicken and patch dry with paper towels. Place in a baking tin, breast side up, and squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the chicken. Place the other lemon half inside the cavity of the chicken, along with 1 garlic cloves. Place the remaining garlic cloves and the rosemary scattered over the chicken.
- Drizzle the oil over the chicken coating it evenly, and sprinkle salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 65-70 minutes, basting the chicken with the pan juices every 20 minutes. Test the chicken is ready by inserting a sharp knife into the thigh. Juices should run out. When cooked transfer the chicken to a serving dish and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- To make a sauce, pour the juices from the baking tin, along with white wine and the chicken stock into a saucepan. Cook the sauce over a medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has reduced. You may also need some salt and pepper for more flavor in the sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: English