Recipe: Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling
- 3 lb of piece pork
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 lb of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 425 ° F (220 ° C). Pat the pork dry with paper towels and rub the scored skin thoroughly with salt. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place the pork, skin side up, in a baking tin and tuck the rosemary and garlic underneath. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 ° F (180 ° C) and continue to cook for 1 hour. Add the potatoes to the baking tin and cook, turning them occasionally, for an additional 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender inside and crisp on the outside. Test if the pork is cooked by inserting a sharp knife into the center of the meat. Juice should run clear.
- When cooked remove the pork from the oven, cut away the crackling. Cover the meat and potatoes with foil and let it rest for about 10 minutes. You can make gravy to pour over the pork using the pan juices. Apple sauce also goes really well with roast pork.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: German