Recipe: Simple Scones
- 3 1/2 cups of self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 oz of unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and salt. Add the butter and using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until it forms a breadcrumbs texture.
- Mix together the milk and lemon juice, the mixture will curdle slightly. Add the beaten egg and pour into the flour mixture. Mix gently just until dough forms, making sure not to overwork the dough. Form into a rough ball shape, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead very lightly The dough should feel slightly wet and sticky.
- Flatten out the dough to a thickness of 1 1/4 inch and cut out rounds using a cookie cutter. Place the rounds on the prepared oven tray, 1 inch apart, and brush the tops with a little milk. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until risen and golden browned.
- Remove from the oven tray and wrap the scones in a clean tea towel to keep them warm and soft. Serve immediately whilst still warm with jam, butter or cream.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: English