Recipe: Sweet And Sour Pork Roast
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast (one inch strips)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 20 ounces canned unsweetened pineapple (chunks)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 medium green pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice (for serving)
- In a large plastic bag, add in the paprika. Place in pork strips and shake to coat them. In a nonstick sauce pan, brown pork in oil over medium-high heat. Place in slow cooker (3 quarts).
- Drain pineapple, saving the juice; refrigerate chunks. Use the juice in combination with the onion, green pepper, vinegar, sugar, soy, salt and sauce to slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Add pineapple chunks. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until sauce is thick. Serve over rice if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Chinese