Recipe: Warm Mushroom, Bacon and Rocket Salad
- 4 rashers of pancetta, roughly chopped
- 4 medium flat mushrooms, (each about 75g) left whole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped into petals
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon muscovado sugar
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 thick slices of italian bread, ciabatta is perfect
- 75g wild rocket
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the pancetta. Stir-fry until golden and crispy. Remove from the pa with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen paper, leave the oil and fat in the pan.
- Add the whole mushrooms in the pan along with the onions and garlic. Cover and cook over a moderate heat for about 2 minutes on each side or until the mushrooms begin to flatten. Take the lid off and add the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, mustard and 50ml water. Cook until the sugar has dissolved. Return the pancetta to the pan and keep warm.
- Lightly toast the bread. Put 2 slices on each serving plate. Arrange the rocket leaves on top and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil. Place a mushroom on each bed of rocket and spoon the bacon and onion mixture with its pan juices over the top. Sprinkle generously with grated parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)