Recipe: Apple Almond Tart
- 3/4 cup of softened butter
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cup of flour
- 4 oz of almond paste
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
- 3-4 apples
- 1/2 cup of heated apricot preserves
- This first step is to make the sweat tart pastry. Preparing the pastry is a straight forward process. Using a food processor or a mixing bowl, place butter, powdered sugar and flour. Blend this mixture together until it becomes firm.
- When happy with the consistency of the dough, using a 11 or 12 inch tart pan press dough into the bottom and sides of the pan. Pierce pastry with a fork.
- Heat the oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C) and bake the pastry for 10 to 20 minutes or until it turns a golden color. Remove the sweat tart pastry from oven and make sure it cools completely before doing the filling.
- To make the filling. Using a food processor or a mixing bowl, place almond paste, cream cheese, sugar, egg, vanilla and almond extract. Blend all these ingredients together until you get a smooth consistency. Pour the filling into the cooled pastry, spreading it evenly.
- Now you want to make the topping. Peel the apples and cut them into very thin slices. Place them evenly on the almond filling and press down on them gently.
- Heat the oven to 375 ° F (200 ° C) and bake the filled pastry for 25 to 30 minutes. 10 minutes before the apple almond tart is ready, sprinkle the apples with sugar and continue baking until the sugar caramelizes.
- When the baking has finished, transfer the tart to a rack and when cool, brush top with heated apricot preserves.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: French