Recipe: Blackened Salmon Salad
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 thick slices of ciabatta, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 skinless salmon fillets (each weighing about 150g)
- 2 little gem lettuce or 1 cos lettuce, shredded
- parmesan cheese shaving, to serve
For the dressing :
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 750ml good quality mayonnaise
- 5 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the garlic cloves into a heavy based frying pan along with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Heat, then add the bread cubes. Toast over a medium heat, tossing frequently, until the cubes are evenly golden brown. Tip them out onto a sheet of kitchen paper, remove the garlic and set aside until needed. Wipe the pan clean.
- Now to make the dressing. Place the crushed garlic into a food processor or blender along with the mayonnaise and anchovy fillets and process until smooth. Add a few drops of hot water to thin the dressing o that it is the consistency of double cream. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Mix together the cajun seasoning and salt onto a plate and roll the salmon fillets in the seasoning mix until evenly covered. Place the clean frying pan over a high heat and also add the rest of the oil. When the pan is smoking, add the salmon and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until just cooked. Remove from the heat and break into rough pieces.
- Pour the dressing into a large bowl. Add the shredded salad leaves and toss well to coat. Arrange the dressed leaves on serving plates. Top with the blackened salmon pieces, garlic croutons and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese shavings. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)