Recipe: Chicken Satay Skewers
- 1 lb of chicken breasts, skinless
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons of crushed chillies
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
- Dice chicken breasts into cubes. Combine onion, lemon juice, garlic, crushed chillies, soy sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil. Pour the ingredients over the prepared chicken and stir to coat all the pieces thoroughly. Allow the chicken to marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator to develop the flavors.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and thread onto skewers, leaving a portion of the skewer free for handling. Barbecue on the preheated BBQ plate or grill over a medium heat for about 6 minutes, turning the skewers until the chicken is golden browned. Brush with a little extra olive oil if necessary.
- Pour the remaining marinade into a pan and place on the edge of the barbecue, or on the side burner. Add the coconut milk and peanut butter, stir until the mixture boils and thickens. Serve the stay chicken skewers on a plate, sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)