Recipe: Lemon Granita
- 3/4cup of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of lemon rind, grated
- Combine the sugar and 2 cups of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Allow to cool.
- Combine the lemon juice and zest with the cool syrup. Pour into a shallow container , cover and freeze for about 1 hour, or until the liquid around the edge of the container becomes frozen. Break up the crystals with a fork using a scraping action. Return to the freezer and repeat the scraping process every 45 minutes, or until you have a glistening mass of smooth ice crystals. This whole process can take 2-3 hours depending on your freezer.
- Ideally the lemon granita should be eaten immediately, but you can pour the granita into a storage container and keep it in the freezer to eat at a later date.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)