Recipe: Lobster Mornay
- 2 whole lobsters, cleaned and halved
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of plain all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 2/3 cups of warm milk
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C). Take the lobsters and cut them in half, from head to tail. Remove meat from lobster shells and roughly chop the lobster flesh. Place the lobster shells, cavity side up, in a large baking dish.
- Use a medium saucepan to heat butter over medium heat. When the butter is foaming, add the flour to the pan. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and begins to come away from the side of the pan, then remove from heat.
- Add the wine to the mixture gradually, until you get a smooth consistency. Add the milk gradually and repeat the same process. Continue to cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Add the cheddar cheese and stir the mixture well until the cheese is completely melted and you can no longer see any cheese. Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning, it may need some salt and pepper. Stir in the chives and add the prepared lobster meat to the pan. Spoon lobster mixture into shells.Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)