Recipe: Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ounce red liquid food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (distilled)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 F (175 C). Lightly grease two, twelve cup muffin tins or line with paper cups.
- Beat the butter with the sugar in a bowl. Use an electric mixer until whipped and fluffy. Add in the eggs, buttermilk, coloring and vanilla extract. Add in the vinegar and soda. Mix in the flour, cocoa and salt; combine into the batter. Pour into the cups.
- Bake until the tops bounce back when pressed, about twenty five minutes. Let cool over wire rack. When cool, frost if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)