Recipe: Roasted Vegetable Couscous – Moroccan Style
- 175g red peppers
- 175 sweet potato
- 175g red onions
- 175g leeks
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 150g couscous
- 300ml hot vegetable stock or water
- freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- handful of fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F or Gas Mark 6). Remove the skin from the onions and slice them into wedges. Core and remove the seeds from the peppers, then chop them. Peel the sweet potato and cut into chunks. Trim the ends from the leeks, split them and give them a good rinse, make sure to dry them with some kitchen towel and then cut into chunks.
- Take the prepared vegetables as well as the garlic and place them into a non-stick baking tray. Pour the oilive oil over the top and also add the chilli flakes. Now its time to get your hands dirty. Place your hands under the vegetables and toss them until they are fully coated with the oil and chilli flakes. Please the tray into the oven and cook for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking, place the couscous into a large bowl and pour in the hot vegetable stock or water. Cover the mixture and set it aside until the couscous absorbs all the water, this should take approx 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff and aerate the couscous, then add the cooked vegetables and place some mint sprigs on top. Add a little lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)