Recipe: Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 70g ripe plum tomato’s
- 175g red onions
- 150g carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- a few fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 350ml passata (sieved tomato’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- a squeeze of fresh lime juice
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- a handful of fresh coriander
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- warm crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the plum tomato’s, onions and the carrots in a roasting tin. Add the chilli, garlic, thyme or rosemary sprigs and olive oil and toss until the vegetables are well coated. Place in the preheated oven and roast for about 25 minutes, make sure to turn the vegetables occasionally.
- Remove from the over and discard the chilli. Blend the roasted vegetables, garlic and herbs with the passata in a blender or food processor. Add the sugar, lime juice and the 150ml cold water and season well with salt and pepper.Pour the mixture into a large pan and gently heat through. Add the chopped coriander just before serving. Ladle into serving bowls and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve immediately with warm crusty bread.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)