Recipe: Saffron Chicken with Rice
- 8 chicken breast fillets, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon of saffron powder
- 2 tablespoons of hot water
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of ground sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 14 oz of canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/4 cups of arborio rice
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Dice chicken breasts into cubes, then place in a shallow bowl. Dissolve the saffron in the hot water and combine with the lime juice, paprika, garlic, olive oil, and onion powder. Pour the marinade over the chicken breasts and turn to coat them properly in the marinade to develop the flavors. Allow the chicken to stand for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Cook chicken on the preheated plate or grill over a low heat for 5-7 minutes each side, until the chicken is tender and golden brown, turning once during the cooking. Add the diced tomato 3 minutes before the chicken is finished cooking. Taste to see if it needs additional salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken on a serving plate topped with remaining marinade and rice.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)