Recipe: Salmon Patties
- 5 small potatoes
- 1 can of salmon, drained and flaked
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of lemon grind, grated
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Boil, steam, or microwave potatoes until tender and then drain them well. Place in medium bowl, mash using fork or potato masher until smooth.
- Drain salmon well, remove skin and bones from the fish. Add to bowl, mash using fork. Add celery, onion, capsicum, parsley, lemon rind and juice, mixing all the ingredients thoroughly together with a fork. Cover, refrigerate for 30 minutes to make mixture easier to handle.
- Divide salmon mixture evenly into 8 portions. A simple way is to form mixture into a large circle and divide into 8 wedges. Shape each portion into patty, dust with flour. Shake away any excess flour. Brush patties with combined egg and milk. Toss in combined breadcrumbs. Reshape the patties if necessary while putting on the breadcrumbs.
- Place patties into preheated frying pan which has been oiled, cooking them in batches. Cook them for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain any excess oil with paper towels.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)