Recipe: Salt and Pepper Squid
- 1 1/4 lb of squid, cleaned and prepared
- 1/2 cup of plain all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 medium red chilli, finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- Rinse squid. Cut along each side of the body so it opens out flat. Dry well with paper towels. Score the skin with a sharp knife and cut into either side 1/2 inch wide strips.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, sea salt, pepper, chilli powder and chopped chilli. Dip the pieces of squid into the flour mixture and toss to coat. Remove any excess coating.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large frying pan or wok to a depth of 3/4 inch. Heat the oil to 350 ° F (180 ° C).
- Cook the squid in batches of the hot oil for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove with tongs when the are ready and drain with paper towels to remove excess oil. Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if required. The squid should taste salty and spicy. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Chinese