Recipe: Spiced Butternut Squash with Coconut Soup
- 1 large white onion, roughly chopped
- 185g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 25g unsalted butter
- 500g butternut squash, peeled deseeded and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon madras curry powder
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon muscovado sugar
- 170ml tinned coconut milk, plus extra to garnish
- juice from 1/2 lime
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- a handful of fresh coriander
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion, carrot and the squash and gently saute for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the cumin and curry powder and stir over medium heat for 1 minute, make sure the vegetables are well coated with the spices.
- Stir in the stock, sugar and coconut milk and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through and soft.
- Blend the soup using a blender until smooth. A hand held blender is perfect for this. Taste and season with salt and pepper and add the lime juice. Stir in the chopped coriander. Pour the soup into warmed bowls and stir in some extra coconut milk over the top. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)